Always with passion
'Gusto takes shape in the spaces that belonged to a historic Roman restaurant: the Passetto (1860-2018) and, for this reason, the new project required careful considerations: the main objective was not to distort but to "clean" the many different managements while preserving the suggestiveness of the place.
Alessandra Marino with her architecture studio decides to focus on colors by making them "revolve" around old furnishings, poor and noble in equal measure. The walls dare new colors and mark the different rooms.
Entering from Piazza S. Apollinare the customer is welcomed by the Corallo room, which takes its name from the color of the boiserie and which joins, without architectural interruptions, to the Bella Epoque room where pink and gold make the walls precious, and the velvets of the sofas are played on pastel tones. We continue in the Cucchi room: the name is a recognition of the painting by Enzo Cucchi which is 7 meters long and 2 meters high, and the shades of gray alternate with pink and brick.
Entering from via Zanardelli, however, the Picasso room will welcome customers (the name comes from the large 1953 poster on the artist's exhibition at Palazzo Reale in Milan), characterized by a gigantic mirror 7 meters long and 3 meters high which reflects the large windows , and an ancient mosaic in soft colors. A small passage leads to the space dedicated to the pizza oven, here the walls around the tables are divided in half between China red and petrol blue, until they become covered with pure white majolica in the space dedicated to the oven. In this room the customer takes a look at the work of the pizza chef but can also purchase the Italian food specialties on sale.
In the structure of approximately 500 m2 there are few radical interventions compared to the old restaurant, such as the cocktail bar which in the new project overlooks the outdoor of Piazza S. Apollinare, and serves both indoors and outdoors at the same time.
Respected but restored, the iron and wooden fixtures that enter the room creating compasses, as well as the old Palladian windows and the boiserie, which today interact with the pastel velvets of the sofas in the cocktail bar, the black iron tables, the French chairs intertwined, the vases in soft colors and then the contemporary art: fine photographs, ancient paintings and many important and non-important objects, collected over the years by the owner.
The lighting has a contemporary feel, the teardrop crystal chandeliers disappear to make room for the Akari Light Sculptures designed by designer Isamu Noguchi in 1951 and the Potence Pivotante by Charlotte Perriand.